Bed Bugs are small insects that prey on human blood to live. They drink human blood until they are full. Their prey on the human body starts when they sleep, so they drink human blood and get their stomach filled and hide someplace in your bed or in furniture like table, chair, etc. Bed Bugs continue to stick to your blood and prey on the human body until they are full.
Bed bugs presence can be sensed in the initial stages and we can always get rid off them. If overnight some red marks appear on your body that hurts then signs of bed bug bites and their presence in your house can be easily sensed. You can check out bed bug treatment at https://www.bedbugbarrier.com.au/bed-bugs/.
- If you are having an urge for itching at regular intervals then bed bugs are residing in your home.
- If you see some small bugs regularly on your bedside then there is bed bug infestation in your house.
- If you are not keeping your house clean then the presence of bed bugs can be a surety.
- If you are sensing an odour which you do not think exists then your home is infested by these insects. You can check various online resources to get more info about it.
Heat works by raising the temperature in the building to levels at which bed bugs cannot survive. It is 100% effective and chemical free. Both chemical and heat will be effective. I prefer heat (called thermal remediation) (see resource for more information). This can be expensive which is why many building managers resist this approach.
If your landlord does not take action, try contacting your local health department to see if they can help. Also either the City or State Attorney General's office can help enforce any laws in your area that regulate landlords and bed bugs. Note that many states and cities do not have laws that help.
In the mean time, the resources listed below have some suggestions that could help protect your family. This includes:
– Sealing base boards with caulk
– Placing fossil dust around the perimeter of the room
– Moving beds 6 inches from walls/furniture
– Wear tight fitting clothes to bed
– Treat the mattress with heat using a hand steamer or even a hair dryer (hold on each section of mattress for 30 seconds to generate heat needed to kill insects)
– Treat the perimeter of the apartment with a residual bed bug spray (see resource for suggestions), which will kill bed bugs for several weeks.